This page is semper reformanda… always reforming.
My Current Reading List
The following list is a rough initiation to my past and present reading. Bear in mind that this page reflects more of my inquisitive caprice than any systematic program of study. (I will however, spare you the inclusion of the books I must read for school.) When possible, books in this category are linked to my very favorite bookstore — monergism.com; otherwise you will be directed to amazon.com. All other available links below lead to various quotes and/or personal reflections on what I have read.
- The Mortification of Sin
- The Civil War as Theological Crisis, by Mark Noll
- Freewill, by Sam Harris
- Shame Interrupted: How God Lifts the Pain of Worthlessness (Ed Welch)
- The Works of John Flavel
- Cleopatra and Anthony: Power, Love, and Politics in the Ancient World, by Diana Preston
- Darwin: The Life of a Tormented Evolutionist (Adrian Desmond, James Moore)
- Orthodoxy (GK Chesterton)
- Dictionary of Biblical Imagery (Leland Ryken, Jim Wilhoit, Tremper Longman) Highly recommended!
- Christ in the Passover (Ceil Rosen, Moishe Rosen)
- The Acts of the Apostles : A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary (Ben Witherton, III)
- Wuest’s Word Studies in the Greek New Testament (Kenneth Wuest)
- Catena Aurea: Commentary on the Four Gospels, Collected Out of the Works of the Fathers, Volumes I-IV (John Henry Parker, 1845)
- Thomas Hardy (Claire Tomalin)
- The Most Famous Man in America: The Biography of Henry Ward Beecher (Applegate)
- Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Spy (Metaxes) Highly recommended!
- Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God (McCasland) Highly recommended!
- Through the Gates of Splendor (Elliot)
- To the Scaffold: The Life of Marie Antoinette (Erickson)
- Tete-a-Tete: The Tumultuous Life and Loves of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean-Paul Sartre
- Marriage to a Difficult Man (Elizabeth D. Dodds) Highly recommended!
Commentaries and Sermons
- The Complete Works of John Owen Favorite
- The Works of Jonathan Edwards Favorite
- The Complete Works of Richard Sibbes Favorite
- The Complete Works of Thomas Boston
- The Vampire Defanged (Susannah Clements)
- Puritan Evangelism by Joel Beeke
- The Reformed Pastor (Richard Baxter) Highly recommended!
- The Christian Ministry, with An Inquiry into the Causes of its Inefficiency (Charles Bridges)
- The Church and Social Problems (Berkhof)
- The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love (Jonathan Leeman) Highly recommended!
- Ministries of Mercy: The Call of the Jericho Road (Tim Keller) Favorite
- In Pursuit of Godliness (JI Packer) Highly recommended!
- Thirty Years That Changed the World: The Book of Acts for Today (Michael Green)
Christ and Culture
- Why We’re Not Emergent: By Two Guys Who Should Be (DeYoung and Kluck)
- The Next Story: Life and Faith after the Digital Explosion Highly recommended!
- The Scent of Water (Naomi Zacharias) Highly recommended!
- Foolproofing Your Life (Jan Silvious)
- Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Believer (Oswald Chambers)
- The Pilgrim’s Songbook (Oswald Chambers)
- The Pursuit of God (AW Tozer)
- Blame It On the Brain? (Ed Welch) Highly recommended!
- Biblical Psychology (Oswald Chambers)
- Depression: A Stubborn Darkness (Ed Welch)
- Deserted By God? (Sinclair Ferguson)
- Spiritual Depression: Its Causes and Cures (Martin Lloyd Jones)
- When the Darkness Will Not Lift (John Piper)
- Classical Pastoral Care, Volume III: Pastoral Counsel (Thomas C. Oden)
- Classical Pastoral Care, Volume IV: Crisis Counseling (Thomas C. Oden)
- Rid of My Disgrace (Justin S. Holcomb and Lindsey A. Holcomb)
- Knowing God (JI Packer)
- Summa Theologica (Thomas Aquinas)
- Reformed Doctrine of Predestination (Loraine Beottner)
- Institutes of the Christian Religion (John Calvin)
- Let God and Let God? A Survey and Analysis of Keswick Theology (Andy Naselli)
- Systematic Theology (Wayne Grudem)
- The Christian Lover: The Sweetness of Love and Marriage in the Letters of Believers (Haykin)
- Hooked: New Science on How Casual Sex is Affecting Our Children (Joe S. McIlhaney, Jr., MD and Freda McKissic Bush, MD)
- Bringing Up Girls (James Dobson)
- Emma (Austen)
- Pride and Prejudice (Austen) Favorite
- Wuthering Heights (Charlotte Bronte)
- A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens) Favorite
- Poor Folks (Dostoyevsky)
- The Idiot (Dostoyevsky)
- The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky)
- Til We Have Faces (CS Lewis) Favorite
- Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry (Spenser)
- The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoyevsky)
- Now It Can Be Told (Philip Gibbs)
- The Soul of War (Philip Gibbs)
- Embedded at the Front (Philip Gibbs)
- The History of Herodotus (Herodotus)
- The Great Silence: Britain from the Shadow of the First World War to the Dawn of the Jazz Age (Juliette Nichols)
- Unbroken (Laura Hillenbrand) Highly recommended!
- The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry
- By Still Waters: Lyrical Poems Old and New (George William Russell)
- Imaginations and Reveries (George William Russell)
- History of Western Philosophy (Bertrand Russell)
- Gravity and Grace (Weil)
- The Denial of Death (Ernest Becker) Highly recommended!
- Man’s Search for Meaning (Viktor E. Frankl)
- Ethics of Elfland (GK Chesterton)
- The Idea of the Holy (Rudolf Otto)
- The Pilgrim’s Progress (Bunyan) Highly recommended!
- The Bruised Reed (Richard Sibbes) Highly recommended!
- The Valley of Vision Highly recommended!
- The Crook in the Lot (Thomas Boston) Highly recommended!
- How to Write a Sentence (Stanley Fish)